Thursday, May 5, 2016

Coaching Corner - Depression and Self-Care



Coaching Corner  ~ Depression
-Kimberlee Langford, RN BSN CCM CPC

So, I have to preface this post with a disclaimer – I am not a psychologist or counsellor, so I am in no way an expert here.  BUT, as a nurse, a mother, a wife and a friend – I have experienced depression myself, and have been touched by it in every role in my life.  I have lost friends and family to suicide, and have fought hard for people I love who have almost drowned in its depths and have thought about resorting to suicide.   It is so important to be aware of the signs – in yourself and in others, to reach out for help when needed, and to practice good self-care on a daily basis. 

We all go through situations that are sad – times when we are transiently sad – a sadness that surrounds a loss or a situation.  That sadness doesn’t linger – but passes.  CLINICAL depression is so tough, because it doesn’t pass, and is more pervasive.   It can and often does progress and can cause people to think about or actually commit suicide. 

If you have a loved one who is suffering  with sadness and/or depression – please know that YOU cannot make someone depressed.  When people we love are depressed it’s easy to wonder: ‘what did I do’ – ‘what’s wrong with me that is making him/her depressed.’   It is too easy to blame yourself, but please know that it is not you  --  but that you can help.   And if you have any thought or fear or sign that they might want to hurt themselves, or be thinking about hurting themselves – then it’s important to get help – call your doctor, get them to the ER or even to  call 911. 

If you, yourself,  are feeling depressed – especially if you have any thoughts about hurting yourself – know that you are not ‘bad’ or ‘broken’ – but that you need some professional help.  You deserve to be happy – to be whole – not to hurt.  When we are depressed it is hard to think straight.  It affects not only our mood, but our physiology – it dampens appetites, slows digestion and circulation, decreases energy and stamina, dampens our immune system and interferes with our ability to be productive and relate with others.   It is an illness --  and there is treatment.  You and / or your loved one CAN feel better than you do right now! 

Now, that being said – Let’s talk about self-care measures.  When we focus on things that are in our control, that’s where we have the greatest power!

Studies have shown that when we do the things we would do if we weren’t depressed – like singing, dancing, exercise, dressing, eating healthy, ladies – put on your makeup and do your hair! – When we do some of these things, which I’ll be the first to say are hard to do when you’re feeling down, but when we do these things, we actually see chemical shifts in those depression-related hormones: serotonin, dopamine! – Pretty cool.

Personally, I find that when I get out of my head and focus on others – I feel better.  Service is like sandpaper – it smoothes out the rough edges and makes our lives a little softer.   Do something for someone else!  Get out of your own head – and don’t go there alone! 

Years ago, when my brother was killed at 16 years old, depression swept over me in a deep and pervasive way – put me in the ER with heart palpitations.  I was stationed in Boston at the time and was active duty in the Coast Guard.  I did begin counselling.  I also found that I began some ‘therapeutic shopping!’ – I loved going into KMART because people were so happy there – they smiled at me and it was just a pleasant place to be.  I actually applied for a job there – and when the manager asked me why in the world I’d want to work there – being active duty, I told her that I just wanted to learn to smile again and that her staff always made me feel good when I walked in the store.   I was hired on the spot!    I loved working there and had some amazing experiences there as I worked with other staff and customers.

One of the reasons I love being a nurse is that I freak-out love to help people.  Focusing on others brings out the best in us.  Try to make someone else’s day brighter.   – Now these things may not cure a clinical depression – but they can help.  Please don’t delay reaching out to your doctor or counsellor…. You created your tomorrow from the things you do today.

You deserve happiness, fulfillment, to live a life of purpose and beauty.   From time to time we all need a little help.  You don’t have to do it all by yourself!  - I believe

No comments:

Post a Comment